Saturday, October 18, 2008

Architectural Drawing

WORKSHOP TWO
ARCHITECTURAL DRAWING

with Ken and Felicity


In this workshop, our final piece of assessment was to give a presentation in the form of architectural drawings on one of the two houses available. I chose the Rose Seidler house, the house is located in the north side of Sydney and is famous for being the first modern house in Australia.

We started of by drawing a 1:1 scale of a coffee mug, we were to draw the plan, section and elavation of the mug.



We then moved on to drawing perspectives, below is a two point perspective of the Rose Siedler house.

After a series of other exercises; such as learning to draw shadows accurately and the technicality of drawing actual plans, sections, elavations and perspective, our next task was the final assessment.

In order for me to better understand the formation of the house, I decided to actually visit the house itself.

Below are pictures that I took of the Rose Siedler house.

Front View

Internal view (lounge)


With a better picture of the house in mind, I created the following drawings for my house.

3D perspective (House section only)
3D Perspective (Interval view: Fire Place)
3D Perspective (Internal View: Lounge)

3D Perspective ( Outdoor Patio)

Plan

Section and Elavations
In terms of the way I presented my perspective, I took the importance of the lines and grids of the Seidler house windows as my main layout. As for the other drawings, the plan, section and elavation, I kept the linework fine and precise, and the overall layout to be simple keeping in mind that I wanted the drawings to be the dominant figure. Particularly in this workshop, I have learnt that linework is the most important feature in architectural drawings. I rather challenged at first by the precision required for rescailing the planes that we were given, into something larger, and to out tasks purpose, with more relavant features. I also found the shadow exercise rather amusing as I have never viewed and drawn shadow like the way we were taught in the workshop. Overall, I would consider this workhop very important because being able to draw well architecturally is an important way of communicating to others, your design of an architectural space.

No comments: